lunes, 28 de mayo de 2012

The green green grass of home.

A friend posted a picture on Facebook today.  It brought me an immense sensation of nostalgia, so much so that I could feel and smell my England.  The windows wound down on my car on a rare hot summer day, the sun on my face, the narrow windy roads.  Bluebells and swallows, the grass recently mown, the beautiful colours of gold and green of the English countryside.  All these things enveloped me in a warm embrace.  It really made me miss my home.  

I remembered my days as a child in the countryside, a jam sandwich and bottle of juice in hand and off I went for the whole day with my sisters and friends, exploring fields, barns and spinneys, and getting into all sorts of mischief.   Now I am here, in Chile.  

It is turning cold in Santiago now and it rained all weekend.  Yes I still have the mountains, and the Virgin aglow on top of San Cristobal hill.  She looks down on me and protects me during these darker days, giving me a sense of comfort, but England will always be my home.  And when I want to go back, with one glance of a photo, I can.  With my eyes wide shut, I am back there again, in pastures old, my green green grass of home.

2 comentarios:

  1. You have touched me and you will touch many hearts if you continue writing like this.

    I can feel your nostalgia despite being in the English Spring in this precise moment, admiring these simple pleasures you describe, enjoying the many joys it gives to a simple human soul.

    They say that home is where the heart is, so I presume you must have more than one.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Kate
    Its been so very hot the last few days but everywhere is washed clean with 6 weeks of rain. It is so heartening and you are so honest about your love for our country, you fill me with pride. Chile looks and sounds wonderful and you live a truely lovely life with a people that you have always loved. We had the bridesmaids try ons at the weekend and I thought of you in your lovely purple dress 6 years ago, I know if you had been over here you would have been in my bedroom too with pins under your arms!! Enjoy your refreshing rain, it will wash clean your adopted land ready for the sun to return
    Love
    Shelagh x

    ResponderEliminar