jueves, 3 de mayo de 2012

Season Confusion

It is the beginning of May.  I love this time of year.  The birds are chirping, the lawnmowers are out in force after the April showers.  The mornings are mild and it gets lighter with every evening, but this is in England, and I am in in Chile.  I am in the southern hemisphere and everything is upside down and inside out.

I don't hear so many birds this time of year in Santiago.  There was a huge torrential downpour the other day and I got soaked.  The sprinklers have stopped watering the grass in the evening and I don't hear the lawnmowers anymore.  My brain is trying to adjust and adapt to the changes. Could you think of autumn colours and dark crisp mornings in May?  The leaves have turned orange and have scattered on the floor. ..but this is May?!  Instead of looking forward to our one week of British summer that may happen in June, July or August, and where the top news story is of a heat wave reaching a mighty 30 degrees, I have the propsect of a long cold winter.

With the six month summer behind me, I am flickering in and out of my seasonal affective disorder state...but wait...in England there are no Andes mountains, majestically visible from every neighbourhood in the city.  This time of year they are absolutely stunning with their snow capped peaks.  I first truly fell in love with Chile having being starstruck by their presence while crossing the street.  It was our first encounter and I was well and truly captivated.  Nature's beauty is awe inspiring here.  From deserts to lakes, mountains and seas, Chile has it all.  It is time to embrace it and be well and truly thankful to be living this moment, right here, right now.

1 comentario:

  1. It took me a long long while to get used to this...and I'm still not used to it, but ah well. I try to enjoy and accept it as it is for the beautiful moments that are despite the falling leaves in May. x

    ResponderEliminar